Sun, 29 Nov 2020

The case of alleged kidnapping, assault with intention to cause grievous bodily harm, and extortion against former deputy provincial commissioner of the South African Police Service (SAPS) in the North West, Major-General Jan Ntebo Mabula and others has been transferred to the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

This comes after Mabula, Matome Kgorane, Samuel Sanamela Kutumela, Ismael Dawood, Adam Mahlako Moahloli, Mpikwa Meshack Makhubu, Mfana Patrick Makutu, and Israel Mdluli appeared on charges of kidnapping, assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and extortion.

They were members of the province's Organised Crime Unit.

"The matter relates to the alleged kidnapping, interrogation and assault of Paul Kgoedi, Serious Mthembi [and] Richard Tlakulane Sebuyi for several hours," National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said in a statement on Friday.

In addition, the group is also accused of allegedly using different torture tactics against their victims such as:

Ngwema said that it is also alleged that they intimidated and extorted, "R73 000 and R90 00 from Paul Kgoedi's sister Nomvula Patience Kgoedi, as well as R90 000 from Sebuyi's mother".

News24 previously reported that an indictment prepared by the NPA and obtained by News24 painted "a glaring picture of an investigation team which allegedly operated outside the law to extract information from their detainees".

Source: News24

More Africa News

Access More

Sign up for The Africa News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!